Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It’s Not About You: Why Baby Doll Is My God Factor


I don’t know about this but Sucker Punch is one of the most negatively criticized movie I have ever laid my eyes in to. Though it was played by the most beautiful and alluring stars in Hollywood (including Vanessa Hudgens), still it didn’t reach the expectations of the many.

But I am not here to add damage, I am here to try and make you believe a huge lesson I learned after I have watched the film. In fact the title says everything. I may raise your curiosity but at the same time I may not because of the nature of the movie but as I remember every scene, every dialogue, the phrase always comes out. In fact as I am writing this post (with my coffee), I keep on remembering the last line Baby Doll said before everything ended for her, “it was not my story all along”.

They were imprisoned in a mental institution slash entertainment theater slash illegal hub to entertain criminals and mobs including the mayor. Baby Doll had one special gift; she can put a person into a trance whenever she dances. She used that particular gift to gather things they needed for escape. Sadly their plans were busted by their Boss named Blue. They were 5, one was stabbed and two were shot. Yes including Vanessa.

Sigh.

Only two remained, Baby Doll and Sweet Pea. They continued as planned and at the end, only one had the chance to escape. At the very start of the movie, everything was about Baby Doll, her story, her life, her skills, her talent. Almost everything was about her. But here we are at the end of the movie and she’s telling Sweet Pea that it was not her story after all.

Sweet Pea escaped and embraced freedom while Baby Doll remained and was forever locked in the imaginary world she was always into. How sad. But that’s life for all of us. We think our daily struggles and daily fight against the negative things are for us to get better. Every day we wage war against life that’s being unfair thinking we will end up being the hero.

The reality is, it’s not about us. It’s about other people, people whom we care about; people we want to live and experience freedom. Sacrifice, it’s what it is all about. The real satisfaction is when we give way for the benefit and happiness of the persons we love the most. Suker Punch may be a criticized movie but it showed me one of the pieces of life I have always been looking for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment